Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I think it's time now for a loaded topic.
Some people may see this as easy, as obvious, as political, as black and white.
I don't. You shouldn't.

Now that I do not believe in God, what is my view on abortion?

Actually, its the same as it has been since a near-rape experience got me thinking about 3 years ago, except now I view pro-life activists not as wrong, annoying and slightly embarrassing to the faith, but as all-out evil. And not just the militant ones. If the church didn't support even the most tactful protest or handout of information, than there would be no tolerance whatsoever of people calling women whores, calling them murderers.

I think its a hard choice, and its the hardest choice that a girl can make. Its a choice made when there's no other way out, and its not easy. There is no easy way out of an unwanted pregnancy, and no matter what happens, whether you have a child or give it up or end the pregnancy altogether, there's always the question "what if..."

Would there be less pain if he hadn't been born at all? Is it my fault we live like this? what if...

Would I have loved him? Was I selfish? Do I ever deserve a second chance? Will I ever get my shit together and get that chance? what if...

And to take someone in a difficult situation and show that kind of hate to her is worse than "murder." At least the dead can't feel.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Polliegenesis said...

Good point Alex, I guess what I meant by "not black and white" was that one's personal opinion of the topic depends on one's circumstances. Its alright to personally have serious reservations about the moral grey areas surrounding abortion (How early can it feel? when is it human? etc...) and its alright to change your mind, and its okay to advise a concerned friend according to your viewpoint should they ask. What I can not stand, however, (and this is, in my mind, a black-and-white issue at present)is the tactless and often harmful public protesters, and I don't think this should be encouraged in any way. There are better ways to share your thoughts.

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home