Friday, November 27, 2009

Inshallah, and the Lord's Prayer

I talked to a Christian guy about Islam, and he said he couldn't do it. "You don't understand. They simply believe that they must surrender everything to God, and that everything that happens is from God, and they don't really question anything. They just submit. I couldn't do that."

I actually used the term "Inshallah" (If it is the will of Allah) for any future plan that involved travelling from one side of Karachi to the other in any form of motorised transport, or for any plan which involved me getting an Iranian visa. "Next month you are going to ride a bicycle to Teheran?" "Inshallah."
I like the word. It puts more humility into the act of describing what great thing you plan on doing tomorrow or next month or next year. Or in the case of Iran, maybe in 5 years.

But lets look at how the followers of Christ are supposed to pray.

Our Father which art in heaven,Hallowed be thy name,
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,but deliver us from evil:

For thine is the kingdom,and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

--- Matthew 6:9-13 - KJV (I don't actually have this version in hard copy; I googled it. If this is incorrect please forgive me my tresspasses)

Alright, what is the Christ-follower supposed to do? Besides absentmindedly saying or singing this once a week?

1) Address God, in heaven, and exalt his name above all else
2) Submit and surrender entirely to the will of God on heaven and earth
3)Ask for God to provide the needs for this work that he deems necessary
4)Ask for forgiveness where we have strayed from his devine plan
5) Ask for deliverance, that we will not stray again

This is what, above all else, he should ask his creator to provide.

Am I going to become a Christian?

No, you don't understand. They simply believe that they must surrender everything to God, and that everything that happens is from God, and they don't really question anything. They just submit. I couldn't do that.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Polliegenesis said...

Alright my friends from 2007, you have proof at last. Pollie has a rebellious spirit, not unenhanced by a lack of faith.

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home